The educational philosophy of the Ottumwa Christian School (OCS) is based on a God-centered view of truth and man as presented in God’s inspired manual for life, the Bible. Since God created and sustains all things through His Son, Jesus Christ, the universe and all life are directly related to God, and have the purpose of glorifying Him, and must be viewed with regards to His central position in all of life and truth. This is especially true of man who was made in God’s image, different in kind from all other creation with the unique capacity to know and respond to God personally and voluntarily. Because man is today a sinner both by nature and choice, however, he cannot, in this condition, know or honor God in his life. He can do this only by being born again through receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and thus be enabled to do God’s will, which is the ultimate purpose of his life.
The entire process of Christian Education is seen as a means used by the Holy Spirit to…
1. bring the student to Christian maturity
2. develop in the student a Christ-centered mind
3. train the student in godly living
… so that the student can fulfill God’s total purpose for his life. This is true success. He must be taught the Bible because it is the source of truth and wisdom. Its principles are truth, wisdom, light and life to the child of God. Without the Bible as a part of their daily instruction, the student cannot possibly gain an education that prepares him personally and vocationally for his God-ordained life on this earth. The student must learn to seek the whole counsel of God throughout the scriptures. The student must develop spiritually, mentally, physically and socially, and learn to relate to God with his whole life. Teachers who are themselves, born again and have God’s perspective on life must teach him.
The authority for such an education comes both from God’s command that children be taught to love God and to please Him first in their lives, and from the fact that parents are responsible for the total education and training of their children. At the parent’s request, the Christian school, along with the church, becomes a partner in giving this education.
Ottumwa Christian School strives to be a school of excellence, where Christian children and youth can increase in knowledge and wisdom, and grow in maturity through their relationship with God. Toward this purpose, the staff of OCS purposes to excel in teaching and modeling Godly character for the students. This handbook serves as a guideline, but cannot anticipate every possible need that may arise. Our desire is to uphold a high standard in academics and conduct. We ask the students to consider the purpose behind the rules and regulations, as well as the specifics mentioned in this handbook, and to do their best in conducting themselves in a godly, orderly, and courteous manner. Our goal is to help parents train up the next generation of Godly leaders; intelligent young men and women, with integrity and virtue, who will represent Christ to their world.
Welcome to Ottumwa Christian School
Ottumwa Christian School exists to provide opportunities for all students to discover their God-given potential and purpose, to become who God intended them to be and to equip them for a life of service.
Statement of Faith
Belief in the authority and reliability of the Bible as the inspired Word of God. The Bible is the complete and final revelation of God concerning all matters of faith, and practice. All truth is God’s truth.
Belief in one God: personal, infinite and holy, eternally existing in three distinct persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
GOD THE FATHER
Belief in the omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent God who is sovereign over all. His sovereignty is seen in acts of creation, salvation and continual care.
GOD THE SON
Belief in the Deity of Jesus Christ, true God and true man; His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, atonement for our sins by His blood sacrifice, His bodily resurrection, ascension and His personal return in power and glory.
GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT
Belief in the ministry of the Holy Spirit who convicts of sin, regenerates, indwells every believer, enables the believer to live a godly life and empowers the believer for effective Christian service.
Belief that man was created in the image of God, that he sinned and thereby incurred both physical and spiritual death on himself, which is separation from God, that all human beings are born with a sinful nature and therefore are sinners in thought, word and deed.
Belief that all who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, truly repent of their sins and receive Him by faith, are born again of the Holy Spirit, thereby becoming children of God. We believe good works to be the inevitable result of true faith.
Belief in both the church universal, which is composed of all believers in Jesus Christ both living and dead, and the individual church congregation through whom God works to carry out the Great Commission.
Ottumwa Christian School Schoolwide Learning Goals
Students as Growing Christians
• Students accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and form a personal relationship with Him.
• Students accept the Bible as the Word of God and the basis of all truth and the authority for all matters in life.
• Students should respect God, country, family, faculty and fellow students as well as school property. (OCS Handbook pg. 5)
• Students have enough Biblical knowledge to be able to defend their faith /beliefs concerning moral and social issues.
Students as Independent Learners
• Students strive for excellence in all subject areas and complete assignments with diligence and good use of time management. (OCS Handbook pg. 25)
• Students develop a variety of study and learning skills.
• Students accept personal responsibility for their thoughts, speech, actions, and attitudes. (OCS Handbook pg. 5)
• Students can work well in a group setting by using their individual strengths and abilities to accomplish the group’s goals.
• Students can effectively demonstrate both written and verbal communication.
Students as Critical Thinking
• Students can collect, evaluate, analyze and apply information in a logical way.
• Students can make wise decisions in all situations by comparing and contrasting information to God’s Word.